FINGERING
In viewing chromatic scales on the accordion, I see a variety of fingering being used.
I  would be interested in opinions, and learning more about recommended fingering techniques
for performing chromatic scales on a 41 key treble keyboard.
I'm assuming you're talking about chromatic scales in the right hand? On a piano accordion?

Fingerings in that case are, like most RH accordion fingerings, based on what the "correct" fingering would be on a regular piano. In the case of chromatic scales, however, there's not as much of a universal consensus as there is with non-chromatic scales.

For example:  http://www.pianisttopianist.com/?p=486

In published accordion music that supplies fingerings, I feel like that first one is the most-common version I see:
  • 1 on white keys that are between two black keys or the lowest of two adjacent white keys
  • 3 on all black keys
  • 2 on the highest of two adjacent white keys
I might do some modifications to the this at the top of it, if I know the scale is ending or turning around. For example, I'd typically do C chromatic scale like this:

13 13 123 13 1234

But other fingerings have their merits. YMMV.

(By the way, check out Frosiini's "La Mariposita" if you want a nice chromatic workout!)
(08-07-2019, 10:05 PM)JeffJetton Wrote: I'm assuming you're talking about chromatic scales in the right hand? On a piano accordion?

Fingerings in that case are, like most RH accordion fingerings, based on what the "correct" fingering would be on a regular piano. In the case of chromatic scales, however, there's not as much of a universal consensus as there is with non-chromatic scales.

For example:  http://www.pianisttopianist.com/?p=486

In published accordion music that supplies fingerings, I feel like that first one is the most-common version I see:
  • 1 on white keys that are between two black keys or the lowest of two adjacent white keys
  • 3 on all black keys
  • 2 on the highest of two adjacent white keys
I might do some modifications to the this at the top of it, if I know the scale is ending or turning around. For example, I'd typically do C chromatic scale like this:

13 13 123 13 1234

But other fingerings have their merits. YMMV.

(By the way, check out Frosiini's "La Mariposita" if you want a nice chromatic workout!)

Jeff:
Thank you.
I  appreciate the tips.
(08-07-2019, 11:31 PM)Chickers Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 10:05 PM)JeffJetton Wrote: (By the way, check out Frosiini's "La Mariposita" if you want a nice chromatic workout!)

La Mariposita - You can say that again!

There's a great book that discusses many aspects of accordion fingering (PA and stradella bass) by Bob Smith. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his contact info.

Good luck!
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, "Nunziola" LMMH
There used to be strictly laid down rules on fingering particularly is following tutor books for exams and grades.. In the real world the most suitable fingering witll to a large extent depend on the tune being played or even on the particular part of a particular tune being played.

A good basic starting point for scale practice is (fingers) 123 thumb under 45678 going up the scale 87654 3rd finger overover going down the scale. These enable 8 notes to be played fluently with 5 fingers which is all we have got! IN other words the first 'chunk' of a scale is played with 3 fingers and the second 'chunk' is played with 5 fingers and the process is reversed coming down a scale.

Whatever pattern of fingering is used the important thing is not to run out of fingers!

george