Roland FR4XB Wanted
I'd like to buy a Roland FR4XB.

Thanks to all who responded - I have now acquired an FR4XB.
So would I, but only if it can produce a really really good natural sounding accordion sound. In all the videos I have seen and listened to (there are not so many that use *only* the accordion sounds) you can hear that it is not a good quality acoustic accordion from a mile away... I know you can tweak the sounds in many ways, but don't know why nobody seems to have tweaked them to really mimic a good quality acoustic accordion. Once I talked to the representative of Bugari (Evo) and asked why the Evo does not ship with a "Bugari Artist Cassotto" sound set. The answer was that people who want that sound buy a Bugari Artist Cassotto, not an Evo. People want the Evo for everything else it offers. So I guess it may be the same with the FR4XB (which has the right size for my wife and me).
A dealer in the Netherlands (Dera, in Heerlen) has a demo model at a somewhat discounted price available, with extra sound sets including for instance a Beltuna simulation, but I first have to convince myself and my wife that the FR4XB can sound like a real accordion like the ones we have and love...
You might wonder why anyone would want a Roland, just to mimic the acoustic accordions we have. The answer is twofold: weight is an important factor, and the fact that it has more uniform sound (no difference in timbre between the 3 reed blocks in cassotto) and none of the notes ever go out of tune.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl
Hi
I own a Roland Fr8x along with a Ranco Supervox, Bugari Champion Casotto and Scandalli Air 5. Of course it can never replace the sound of any of the above but it does offer several advantages is you can live with its limitations.
No feedback in live situation.
No extra expander needed, unless you’re unhappy with the electronic sounds. Less wires, mess and stuff to forget or go wrong.
Silent practice using the headphone socket. Hence easier to protect hearing if you practice lots.
The biggest problem I find with the Roland is the lack of sound and immediacy around you when playing. If playing out and about a good foldback system is vital. When playing in a band situation I would be hard pressed to identify the Roland as electronic but certainly not as satisfying for me as a player.
(18-06-2019, 10:38 AM)Jibberin Wrote: Hi
I own a Roland Fr8x along with a Ranco Supervox, Bugari Champion Casotto  and Scandalli Air 5.  Of course it can never replace the sound of any of the above but it does offer several advantages is you can live with its limitations.
No feedback in live situation.
No extra expander needed, unless you’re unhappy with the electronic sounds.   Less wires, mess and stuff to forget or go wrong.
Silent practice using the headphone socket.  Hence easier to protect hearing if you practice lots.
The biggest problem I find with the Roland is the lack of sound and immediacy around you when playing.  If playing out and about a good foldback system is vital.  When playing in a band situation I would be hard pressed to identify the Roland as electronic but certainly not as satisfying for me as a player.

The part "Of course it can never replace the sound of any of the above" is what is holding me back. I wouldn't be surprised if the core of the problem is in "sound modeling" rather than "sampling". Roland used sound modeling in their digital piano's at first, but in the end Roland and all others moved to sound sampling. My Yamaha CP-5 piano sounds just like a Yamaha grand piano because the sound is sampled from the Yamaha grand piano, so playing the piano is like playback of a recording of someone playing the Yamaha grand. If Roland were to use sound samples from the best accordions instead of trying to model the sound it could really replace the sound of the best accordions.

For the OP: have a look at the page https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-en-i...xb-bk.html for an interesting offer. Note: I have absolutely no affiliation with that seller.
(18-06-2019, 09:12 AM)debra Wrote: So would I, but only if it can produce a really really good natural sounding accordion sound. 

For anyone that wants a pure accordion sound... use an accordion and be happy, because nothing beats the REAL thing for purists.  Anyone that is looking for exact pure accordion sounds reproduced electronically will be disappointed with anything digital, Roland V-accordions included.  Smile

I have an acquaintance who had sampled 3 accordions to near perfection (a new Hohner Morino, a Piere-Maria and a Scandalli), at a cost of $5500 using some of the most modern hardware on the market today (done as a favor and a test and possibly as a future product to resell to various companies), and he was disappointed in the results... simply because the speakers needed to reproduce these sounds to his satisfaction were in the thousands of dollars, and totally "unacceptable" to his ears running through the speakers of his borrowed V-accordion (4X) or on my FR-8X, and just barely passible on his Klipsch home speakers.

Suffice to say, he is very serious about his choice of accordions and how they should sound, as I believe Paul is.  Smile

If you want an accordion that can sound like any of 15 drum sets or hundreds of possible different kinds of accordions and 1,000 instruments, alone or together with many different instruments, including (IMHO) many different pretty good sounding accordions, a V-Accordion may be in your future.

McSqueeze, if you are looking for a 4X, why not post your request in the Facebook Roland V-Accordion forum and the Roland V-accordion Yahoo forum clubs?  Here there are merely a handful of V-accordionists (me being one of them).

My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com
(18-06-2019, 09:22 PM)JerryPH Wrote: McSqueeze, if you are looking for a 4X, why not post your request in the Facebook Roland V-Accordion forum and the Roland V-accordion Yahoo forum clubs?  Here there are merely a handful of V-accordionists (me being one of them).

Good advice! There is even a FR4X owners and future owners group that I joined hoping to find good links to videos. Somewhat disappointing in that respect, but otherwise a good group to join!
My initial post simply said - "I'd like to buy a Roland FR4XB".

Whilst the responses so far are no doubt well intentioned, please note that I'm
NOT seeking advice.

Those wishing to discuss the pros and cons of Acoustic versus Digital would be
better served in the appropriate sections of this forum.

I have been a professional accordionist for over 50 years and have a fair selection
of acoustic accordions in various configurations from numerous makers as well as
3 Digital accordions from Orla, Musictech and Mengascini (with Master electronics).
I also have extensive experience with MIDI assisted acoustic accordions.

About two years ago I bought a Roland FR1XB to try out a Roland and now I've 
decided to acquire an FR4XB. So unless you have an FR4XB for sale or information
relating to one for sale, please do not clutter this post with discussion. Thank you.
(19-06-2019, 03:11 AM)McSqueeze Wrote: My initial post simply said - "I'd like to buy a Roland FR4XB".

About two years ago I bought a Roland FR1XB to try out a Roland and now I've 
decided to acquire an FR4XB. So unless you have an FR4XB for sale or information
relating to one for sale, please do not clutter this post with discussion. Thank you.

While I am guilty of adding some discussion in the mix I and others have pointed out different sources of information that may lead to you finding one for sale, and I have given a link to one that is for sale at a discount. It might be helpful if you told us where you are and whether you are looking to buy "locally" (meaning driving distance) or on-line with shipment to you... The simple "I'd like to buy a Roland FR4XB" doesn't tell us much. It applies to me as well, but I am not as decided as you are and that led to the discussion.