Dumbed Down Music
Many songs are made up of or can be dumbed down to just 3 chords, such as the one at this link I have created.

I would like to challenge anyone to "dumb up" the attached song. I think this would be most helpful to many of us lesser mortals. Thanks in anticipatiojn.

Forget the chord at the end. I have tried to copy the music from the intro to Match of the Day in the UK but may have got this wrong - just concentrate on the tune which may also have been used elsewhere for all I know, patrticularly outside the UK.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-smith-846368...-day-intro
Neat idea.... I'm game though I may drag into extra time....
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...
(03-06-2019, 07:45 PM)wirralaccordion Wrote: I would like to challenge anyone to "dumb up" the attached song.

So you mean you want someone to make a more complex version of this song, is that what you are asking?

My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com
(03-06-2019, 08:08 PM)JerryPH Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 07:45 PM)wirralaccordion Wrote: I would like to challenge anyone to "dumb up" the attached song.

So you mean you want someone to make a more complex version of this song, is that what you are asking?

Yes, that is exactly correct, but obviously the melody has to remain the same. Any changes would be to the accompaniament/chords only.
Don't you think if we all played to the printed score ( I haven't got one incidentally although I believe the music is correctly titled "Offside" ) we would all sound exactly the same? ( or would we? )
Jerry... This tune was a theme tune to an English soccer/football sports show from pre skysports days.... Google "match of the day theme pdf" and you'll find plenty of scores for simple sheets...
(03-06-2019, 08:26 PM)wirralaccordion Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 08:08 PM)JerryPH Wrote:

Yes, that is exactly correct, but obviously the melody has to remain the same. Any changes would be to the accompaniament/chords only.
Don't you think if we all played to the printed score ( I haven't got one incidentally although I believe the music is correctly titled "Offside" ) we would all sound exactly the same? ( or would we? )

Got it.  I know we would not sound the same, and I don't even think we should even try to sound the same (variety is the spice of life!).  I hope that was not what you thought I was asking.  Smile

Hi Phil,

An interesting quest ....... I could probably dumb it down some more.

We have lots of members on this forum, and I would like to bet that no two of them would play this (or any other) tune the same.

Have Fun,

Stephen.
(03-06-2019, 10:47 PM)Stephen Hawkins Wrote: Hi Phil,

An interesting quest ....... I could probably dumb it down some more.

We have lots of members on this forum, and I would like to bet that no two of them would play this (or any other) tune the same.

Have Fun,

Stephen.

Well, the 100% "dott-ists" ( as so called by maugein96 or george garside on here I think ) would certainly play the same. However, I would think that most of us can play both by the dots and by ear to varying degrees and the dots can therefore be regarded as merely a starting point for dumbing up ( or should that be called improvisation? )
(04-06-2019, 09:00 AM)wirralaccordion Wrote: ( or should that be called improvisation? )

Yup that is the exact word that was floating around in my head at that moment.  Smile

I'll just drop this here as an idea... Its only the first line as I don't have time to work out more at moment and played fair slow
Over what was originally a G chord I've implied
D7, Em, G,... G6,... G, G7, G#dim.... G6, Em, A7, E7 leading to the D of the second phrase... https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5mZoiFet6UCon3G9
Just silly ideas really and over egged a tune that is probably just left as simple and punchy as was originally written... But since you asked it amused me for a while
Best wishes Terry
Hello Phil,

Rather than "improvisation" I would prefer to call it "style." It probably means about the same, but style is more about accent than actually changing the composition of a tune.

I may hold one note a little longer or clip another note short. The tune is still recognisable, but it has a little of me in it.

The same can be said for regional accents throughout the World. I have a Lancashire accent, albeit a refined one, and people recognise accents which may be different from their own.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.
I rather liked that version of Match of the Day. Wonder where it originally came from? Was it specially composed for MOTD or was it a piece from one of the commercial music libraries such as Dewolf in Tottenham Court Road in the west end of London?
Could it be vaguely Alpine polkerish in origin? Anyway,  imho it would make an entertaining polka for a ceildh band.
(04-06-2019, 09:00 AM)wirralaccordion Wrote: merely a starting point for dumbing up ( or should that be called improvisation? )

The term I would use is "reharmonization"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonizat...monization
Thanks for that article Jeff... And putting the correct name to art/wizardry...
Possible rules re reharmonisation. Copied from Frank Mantooth book...
Altered chords must meet three criteria.. 

They must sound good

The harmonic succession must have a logical flow and not be haphazard or disjunct 

The original melody must be preserved without alteration