Double-slide bass blocks...
Greetings!  

Question:  Has anyone encountered and/or know the purpose for having register slides both in the soundboard AND in the bass block itself?  I'm currently rebuilding a 1950's Pancordion that was made in Italy and noticed that the middle bass block has a register slide in it's base, in addition to having a fully functional and air-tight slide sandwiched between the aluminum soundboard plates.  Both slides hook around the same actuator pin.  

Just curious if anyone has encountered this before.
Cheers!
Atlanta, GA USA
(12-03-2019, 04:27 AM)Granitz Wrote: Greetings!  

Question:  Has anyone encountered and/or know the purpose for having register slides both in the soundboard AND in the bass block itself?  I'm currently rebuilding a 1950's Pancordion that was made in Italy and noticed that the middle bass block has a register slide in it's base, in addition to having a fully functional and air-tight slide sandwiched between the aluminum soundboard plates.  Both slides hook around the same actuator pin.  

Just curious if anyone has encountered this before.
Cheers!

Never seen that. Especially when both slides hook around the same actuator pin it seems like maybe someone added the second slide later? I have seen slides in reed blocks, when multiple reeds share the same hole and one may need to be closed off. (This is how bayans work.) It is also possible that the reed block is not original for this accordion and came with a slide already in place.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl