Pretend
On this video, I again chose a simple song to experiment with a lot of technical ideas, but had a lot of fun just playing my accordions.   Shy

Lots of little firsts here...
- Using the Panasonic GH5S camera (new toy, incredible quality video!)
- Doing green screen at full body dimensions (finally!)
- Using more advanced post processing techniques
- Doing a multitrack soundtrack in a video at the same time (this one has 5 tracks and I mixed acoustic with digital accordions)
- Doing multitrack video (this one has 2 video tracks)

I think that I am having almost as much fun with the technical side as I am making a recording of an accordion... lol

https://youtu.be/TX2LpLqu7DA

Let me know what you think!

My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com
That’s a lot of hi tech Jerry. How long did it take to put all that lot together?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA
Fabulous job!
Still a bit of work to make it look less static. But in the end it's just an "old guy sitting down playing the accordion" (and in front of a dark curtain).

Maybe some day I will manage to get into video recording...
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl
he calls GH5s a toy....

Big Grin
Cool!
(27-02-2019, 09:39 AM)debra Wrote: Fabulous job!
Still a bit of work to make it look less static. But in the end it's just an "old guy sitting down playing the accordion" (and in front of a dark curtain).

I cannot help smiling because he does have a twinkle in his eye - watch that little lift of the eyebrows !!!  He does at least look as if he's enjoying himself.  Great work though I'd never have guessed it was all done on accordions if I'd only listened and not seen !
(27-02-2019, 08:19 AM)Glenn Wrote: That’s a lot of hi tech Jerry. How long did it take to put all that lot together?

Well, the truth is I have been playing around with the learning process since Christmas, and the first ones are always the longest, but I expect that if you could do the videos in 1-2 takes, get the audio going and have a really fast computer, that this could, in theory, be done in about 4-6 hours.  

Because I took a half day to set up the "studio". about 20-30 minutes of takes, worked about an hour on the audio and about 8 hours on the video, let's say the better part of a weekend for this one, as I spent a lot of time getting the basic greenscreen setup, worked a lot on different lighting setups and exported 9 versions of the file so that I could verify the green screen effects were properly done, I wasted a good 6 hours more than what the next one will take, so this first one took pretty much a full day and a half (about 12 hours).

Next one is going to be even a bit more complex to handle the "issues" that I saw in this one, and will include a 2nd video camera, but will be a single "performer".  I expect it to take me no more than a fun Saturday afternoon.

Facts are, I really went high-tech overboard and the setup has amazingly suddenly grown to cost me more than my FR-8X, but like my photography hobby, I was sucked in to the learning adventure and am really enjoying the journey.  Smile

Maybe some day I will manage to get into video recording...

You are 100% correct on the static part, I just ran out of time and didn't want to wait until the following weekend to get it where it deserved to be, though it does have a good amount of "movement".  Practice is the mother of skill, so the next one will be improved in that respect.  Smile

(27-02-2019, 09:49 AM)jozz Wrote: he calls GH5s a toy....

Big Grin

Aha, someone that knows their cameras, I see!   Dodgy   Big Grin

(27-02-2019, 09:52 AM)Tom Wrote: Cool!

Thanks Tom!  Cool

(27-02-2019, 11:04 AM)Corsaire Wrote:

I cannot help smiling because he does have a twinkle in his eye - watch that little lift of the eyebrows !!!  He does at least look as if he's enjoying himself.  Great work though I'd never have guessed it was all done on accordions if I'd only listened and not seen !

High praise indeed... thank-you!

Jerry -

Very nice! I really enjoyed this. I also appreciate how much time you put into this and how you are completely willing to share what you learned with others. You are an altruistic person, sir!

I have an FR-8X that I play probably 95% of the time over my two other acoustics. I've never been a fan of all of the "sounds". I mean the trumpets, saxophones, clarinets, horn sections and such. I use the accordion sounds and occasionally layer an organ sound under them. I really enjoy the string acoustic bass. I sold my Cordovox last year and you can take the Cordovox away from the player, but not the player away from the Cordovox!

What stuck me about your video was that incredible sound of the acoustic! I usually roll my eyes when I read "purists" talk about not liking digital accordions and their poor attempts at emulating accordion sounds. I guess I've been so indoctrinated with my FR-8X that I never really noticed it.

To my ears, nothing on that FR-8X can replicate that smooth mellow acoustic sound you achieve. Wow. It's gorgeous.

You made me take out my Excelsior 960 tonight Jerry. Not sure how I feel about that!
Current Accordions:

2003 Excelsior 960 Custom Magnante 5/5 - Hand Made Reeds
Excelsior 930 Van Damme Jazz Accordion - Hand Made Reeds
Roland FR-8X Digital Accordion - No Reeds
(27-02-2019, 12:33 AM)JerryPH Wrote: On this video, I again chose a simple song to experiment with a lot of technical ideas, but had a lot of fun just playing my accordions.  

It’s great! Smile
It reminds me of the trick photography showing the photographer playing chess with himself, although what you’ve done is much harder! Smile
(28-02-2019, 04:45 AM)Thomas N Wrote: I sold my Cordovox last year and you can take the Cordovox away from the player, but not the player away from the Cordovox!

What stuck me about your video was that incredible sound of the acoustic!  I usually roll my eyes when I read "purists" talk about not liking digital accordions and their poor attempts at emulating accordion sounds.  I guess I've been so indoctrinated with my FR-8X that I never really noticed it.

To my ears, nothing on that FR-8X can replicate that smooth mellow acoustic sound you achieve. Wow. It's gorgeous.

You made me take out my Excelsior 960 tonight Jerry.  Not sure how I feel about that!

Thomas, thank-you.  I remember the first time I saw/heard a Cordavox, I was so impressed with the sound, but it was not an easy accordion to use, and for the size of the electronics, it was unfortunately not very loud, but what it did have was a quality of sound, both the accordion and the organ, that previously was never heard before.  They definitely carved out a deep niche in history for themselves.

About the sound from the acoustic... a LOT has to do with the room acoustics and the quality of the mics.  It was -22C the day I was making that video and I turned off the house furnace for 30 minutes.  I thought the house temp would drop faster than it did, but I think I would have been able to go several hours before the house became cool, so that is something good to know... that my house is pretty well insulated.  With no furnace noise and a very mildly "live" room and some really good quality mics (SE Electronics sE4400a), this is all that it took to capture that sound.

This is the first time that I use this setup on a video and I am very, very pleased with the results.  I think I said it before, but the sE4400a mics have one strong trait... they capture the sound exactly as if you were listening to it sitting beside me.  Not many other mics can say that they don't add at least some kind of coloration to their captured recordings, I absolutely love them.

An Excelsior 960 is a beautiful instrument... it deserves to be played more, just as my Hohner deserves to get used more too, and I will make more videos with it in the future. Smile

(01-03-2019, 09:40 AM)Dingo40 Wrote:
(27-02-2019, 12:33 AM)JerryPH Wrote: On this video, I again chose a simple song to experiment with a lot of technical ideas, but had a lot of fun just playing my accordions.  

It’s great! Smile
It reminds me of the trick photography showing the photographer playing chess with himself, although what you’ve done is much harder! Smile

Thank-you!
Haha... as a wedding photographer, I did that a lot over the last several decades and the effect always amazed the couple.  This is not where I got the idea for this, though... I've made multitrack recordings back in the early 80s and I always dreamed of making a "multi-Jerry" video, but technology back then never permitted that.  Amazing what people can do right in their basements today... it really is a good time for both recording and video artists and even ordinary people like myself... the possibilities are amazing. Smile

My mother has dictated what the next video will be... another simple song, but on a bit of a snowy, alpine-ish background... she wants Schee Waltz (Snow Waltz)… so I will make it simpler and see if I can complete that one this weekend for her.  What is funny, is as I was looking for interesting backgrounds, she chose that one and said "get that one and play it with Schnee Waltz".. said OK to that.  Now, I just have to think up how to make it interesting in some way!   [Image: huh.png]

BTW, I tried tying in multiple responses in to one post, but could not... but I was amazed to see that the board software does it automatically, whenever a person posts twice in the same thread, it ties them together... nice touch!